[Release] "Resize To...", New Combo Box, Arrows Improvements, Easier Project Maps, and More!
Hello friends of Balsamiq!
We hope you all took a refreshing break during the holidays, and wish you all a fantastically creative and productive 2016!
We have a small release for you today, and we hope you'll like it!
New "Resize To" Feature!
You can now select multiple controls and resize them to match the widest, narrowest, tallest or shortest in the selection. This is SUPER-handy when creating sets of Buttons, for instance.
Thanks for those who requested this over the years; last but not least, ArticMe.
Much Improved Combo Box Control!
You can now change the text color, you can set a pulldown item as selected, you can set it to focussed mode (both when in Open and Closed state), it's now the same height as the Text Input control in the wireframe skin, you can use the x and o notations for checkboxes and radio buttons, the - or = notation for separators, you can add a scrollbar to it...it really is very powerful now.
The new Arrows have been universally very well received.
As with all major updates to a feature, some minor issues came up, which we're fixing today.
We fixed an issue with arrow resizing and padding in groups, improved how arrows resize when near the canvas edges, made arrows markup again (we had inadvertently changed this in 3.3), made it possible to revert overriding arrow positions and fixed an issue when exporting them to BMML.
We also made it possible to hold down SHIFT while dragging an arrow end-point to snap at 45 degree intervals. This also makes it very easy to draw straight horizontal and vertical lines, a request by sgiroux and harjeetgulati.
Easier Project Maps!
You can now create a Site Map control based on the contents of the project with just one click!
Other Fixes and Improvements
- Made \r line breaks work in the Alert control.
- Changed the order of menu items in the right-click menu: now Select is above Lock).
- Fixed the color of the scrollbar in wireframe skin (it was too dark).
- We now make sure we save all updated thumbnails in the BMPR on project close or exit.
- Fixed an issue with exporting when markup was hidden.
- Fixed an issue with CTRL+TAB also indenting mockups on Windows. Thanks sgiroux for reporting it!
- Improved the quality of cropped images. Thanks grebe for bringing it up!
- Fixed an issue with mockup scroll position not getting restored properly when going from Symbols to Mockups in some cases.
How do I update?
If you're using the Web Demo or Mockups for Google Drive, you're already updated.
For Mockups for Desktop, simply install from our download page on top of your current installation. You won't have to re-register.
As always, if you hit any snags with the new build let us know immediately and we'll fix it right up! 🙂
For posterity, today's release is build
3.3.4 3.3.5 (we updated real quick to fix a few little regressions).
What else is going on?
We released yearly subscriptions on myBalsamiq! We'll write a separate post about it soon, but you can already find them on your Site Settings page.
We are also hard at work bringing all the v.3 goodness to myBalsamiq. It's a big project, thanks for your continued patience.
We also published these four blog posts:
- On the Champions blog, an interview with Danelle Bailey: Using myBalsamiq as a Project Hub.
- On the UX blog, an article full of Tips for Creating Great Screencast Recordings.
- On the team blog, a little article about the end of the year, A Season to be Thankful.
- On the Team Treehouse blog, we published a guest blog post on Soft Skills for UX Designers.