Weekly Release: Little Improvements All Over
Hi there. Hard to give a good title to this blog post since the improvements and bug fixes we did this week really span the breadth of the application.
So let's get right to it!
- You can double-click on an image control to bring up the Image Import panel: I call this 'the Megara feature' because it came out of a quick usability session we did in which my friend Megara tried repeatedly to double-click on an image in order to load her photo into it. Genius! 🙂 - BTW, this also works for CoverFlow.
- Desktop version: you can now drag image files from on to the application to add them to your mockup. Thanks Jaanus for the great idea!
- The List control now supports text size! Sorry this took a while but it required a full rewrite of the List control's code...it was one of the first ones I wrote so it didn't use the tricks used by Menus, Trees etc.
- the linking inspectors now have a "Show Link Inspector" and "Hide" toggle, so that they stay out of the way when you're not in the "stiching a prototype together" phase of your work. Thanks so much Leon Barnard for the awesome idea, I really like it.
- property inspectors are now sorted alphabetically for a more consistent experience
- the icon inspector now resizes better (no more empty space when no icon is selected for instance)
- Mockups for XWiki: now works with both 1.0 and 2.0 Syntax! This was a big one for sure. Thanks so much Luis for helping with the implementation. You rock my friend.
- plugin versions: the name field of the save mockup dialog is now focused on open
- Mockups for JIRA: fixed another couple of bugs related to the contextPath (when will I learn?)
How do I update?
- Mockups for Desktop: here (you might hit this one-time error if you haven’t updated in a while)
- Mockups for Confluence: here
- Mockups for JIRA: here
- Mockups for XWiki: here
- Web Demo: here
I made some changes to the Balsamiq Mockups home page to reflect a few recent changes and clean up the navigation structure:
- I added a "Web App" page, which I plan on populating with real content soon
- I moved the Mockups for Confluence, Mockups for JIRA and Mockups for XWiki pages down a level by adding the new "Plugin Versions" page, since we are planning on adding new versions and needed more room for them (more on that soon)
- I added a "Community" page, which I am super-excited about. It contains links to websites and tools that should help you make the most of your Balsamiq installation. I just love the community that has formed (and is growing) around our little tool...it's a beautiful thing. 🙂
I hope you'll like the new structure as much as we do.
As for the web app, we are going to start inviting some friends and family to the beta this week...right after we run a "restore data from backup" test...better to do it now while the data is not that important... 😉