Weekly Release: Big UI Library Improvements
We finally had some time to tackle one of the big features that many of you have been asking for, the "UI Library Position" feature.
As usual, it was a true group effort, just look at all the great ideas that were shared on this long GetSatisfaction thread about it! Rainwebs, Gaving Jolly, Tobias Tappel, Troy King, Lalomi, Thomas Schaaf, RedMike, A.J.Kandy, Sue Anderson, DJ EJ, Regis, Alanc, jrseney, Ben Kopf, Paul Muston, applennevaux, Cristian Pascu and Andi, we thank thee! 🙂
We truly are blessed to be part of the user community that has formed around Mockups, you guys are the best, we're so glad to be helping YOU make this app better and better. 🙂
OK so I recorded a little 4-minute screencast of the new features:
- You can now place the UI Library on the right or on the left of your screen (not just on top like before). The position you choose will be remembered across restarts.
- You can now dock the Property Inspector (only when the UI Library is on the left or the right).
- You can now combine filters for the UI Library controls that are shown in the UI Library.
- The filters are remembered across restarts.
We are happy with the changes, and hope you will be too! 🙂
Let us know what you think, especially after using it for a while.
This feature is available on all versions of Mockups.
What else is new?
- We improved how some of the geometric shape controls look when you stretch them out. Thanks Andi for bringing this up!
- We improved the look of the app's scrollbars a little (they look less flex-like)
- We increased the size of the font size combobox pulldown so that you no longer have to scroll. Thank you Tobias for reporting it
Also don't forget that you can use CTRL+= and CTRL+- (or APPLE+= and APPLE+-) to resize the text incrementally without using the mouse at all. Also CTRL+0 to get back to the default size.
- You can now disable text throughout the app by using -this notation-, just like *this* will make something bold, [this] will make it a link and _this_ will make it underlined. Thanks to Mark Henderson for requesting it and to Erika Cooper, Andi and applennevaux for convincing me to do it! 🙂
How do I upgrade?
- Mockups for Desktop: here (you might hit this one-time error if you haven’t updated in a while)
- Mockups for Confluence: here
- Mockups for JIRA: here
- Mockups for XWiki: here
- Mockups for FogBugz: here (onDemand customers: this will go live for you automatically in a few days)
- Web Demo: here
What else is cooking?
Well, we continue to be focused on improving the web app, which I'd say is almost screencast-ready. Please do not email us asking to be in the beta, we are not accepting new members at the moment. Just stay tuned here for when we decide to open it up again or go live with it! 🙂
Aside from the web app and customer support, we are working on 3 exciting and highly-requested features:
- Zoom. Yes, zoom! 🙂
- in Mockups for Desktop, the ability to rearrange the order of the tabs at the bottom via drag and drop!
- a new, cleaner and a touch more serious, but still sketch-like skin
These are not easy features, so don't expect them all next week, but know that we're actively working on them. I'm sure we'll need your help in order to make them as good as they can be, so stay tuned here and on Twitter!
Our little app is maturing, yay! 🙂