New Release: File Browser Position, Fixed Printing, Fixed Copy/Paste on Windows 7, and Lots More!
Time for another great little release!
Let's dive right in.
New in Mockups for Desktop: File Browser Position!
Working on large projects in Mockups for Desktop? Tired of those tiny file tabs at the bottom? We have good news, you can now place the File Browser on the left or right of your screen.
Here's what it looks like on the left
and on the right
The bottom looks the same as always. It's the option that takes up the least amount of space on your screen, but it's not very convenient for when you have lots of mockups open at the same time.
What else is new?
- All versions: new XXL size (128x128 pixel) for icons, and reworked the icons so that they scale MUCH, MUCH better at large sizes.
- All versions: fixed an issue with extra white lines being inserted in text when two sets of bullets are used in the same control. Thanks Andi for reporting it!
- All versions: fixed an issue with selecting controls in symbol instances with overridden coordinates. Thanks Julianna Cs for reporting it!
- All versions: made the text in the UI library black for better readability.
- All versions: Added "HR" and "VR" as names for the Horizontal Rule and Vertical Rule controls, for easier Quick Add.
- All versions: Changed the name of the Jewel icon to Jewel, Diamond. Another great Jenni Merrifield idea.
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed issues with Copy/Paste on Windows when Office Clipboard is running. We used to put both the bmml and the PNG in the clipboard when copying the current selection, which would confuse Office Clipboard and sometimes result in Office applications crashing or in pasting being broken inside Mockups. After much trial and error, we resorted to splitting the copy operation in two on Windows. When you do a regular copy (with CTRL+C), we just copy the bmml into the clipboard. If you want to copy the image instead, we added a new "Copy as Image" command in the edit menu.
- Mockups for Desktop: we FINALLY fixed all the issues we could find about printing! Thanks for everyone on this thread, plus Dina Ray, John Alton and Pedro Alonso for this report and Colin for this one.
- Mockups for Desktop: We added a "no margins" option to PDF export, which is useful if you want to test your PDF prototypes on a mobile device. Thanks bas and roland for requesting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: Property inspector no longer shows over the Mockup Tabs at the bottom when you drag it down.
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed an issue with updating links when renaming files. Thanks Adrian Wyssen for reporting it!
- Mockups for Desktop: fixed an issue with images not being exported when using Mockups for Desktop from the command line. Thanks pablo.leon100 and Frank for reporting it!
- myBalsamiq: focussed on getting rid of "stuck on saving" issues when the system is under load. We think we have cracked it, but given that this bug has come up again and again we're a little hesitant to call it fully squished.
- myBalsamiq: sped up image generation considerably, and fixed all the bugs we could find in that area. Die, spinners, die! 🙂
- myBalsamiq: fixed an issue with system font text not having kerning in rendered images.
- myBalsamiq: we now show both relative and actual dates in site, project and mockup history pages. Thanks joshl for reporting it!
- myBalsamiq: fixed an issue with clicking on links when viewing prototype view on Safari on iOS.
- myBalsamiq: fixed an issue with uploading projects that have 0Kb-sized files in them.
- myBalsamiq: anonymous users can now export public projects to PDF.
- myBalsamiq: the project browser is now properly hidden while in "propose alternate" view.
- myBalsamiq: we no longer send "your trial is about to expire" emails if you already cancelled your trial. Duh!
- myBalsamiq: added auto-save recovery for mockups that were never saved.
- myBalsamiq: fixed link hints toggle and position in IE8.
- Mockups for Confluence: added a max-width: 100% CSS to our macro, so that large mockups don't go over the browser width. Thanks John from Atlassian for the request!
- Mockups for Confluence: wrote a document on how to deal with broken images in IE.
- Mockups for Confluence: wrote a document called Mockups for Confluence Stopped working after an update! to help people understand our new plugin's UX.
- Mockups for Confluence: wrote a document called Mockups for Confluence says it's Unlicensed, but it is! to help people who buy from us instead of Marketplace.
- Mockups for JIRA: fixed issues with escaping of our velocity templates (the plugin's configuration screen). Thanks Geoffrey Wong from Atlassian for reporting it!
- Mockups for FogBugz: fixed adding mockups to wiki pages in Chrome for mac. Thanks Paula Kregel and others for reporting it!
How do I update?
If you're using myBalsamiq, you're already updated. Just log back in and enjoy.
For other versions, simply install from our download page on top of your current installation. You won't have to re-register.
As always, if you hit any snags with the new build let us know immediately and we'll fix it right up! 🙂
For posterity, these are the version numbers of today's release:
- myBalsamiq: build #3954
- Mockups for Desktop: version 2.2.10
- Mockups for Google Drive: version 2.2.10
- Mockups for Confluence: version 2.2.7
- Mockups for FogBugz: version 2.2.7
- Mockups for JIRA: version 2.2.7
- Mockups for XWiki: version 2.2.7
- Web Demo: version 2.2.7 launch it
What else is going on?
As usual, we've been busy! 🙂
- We hired a new developer (Michele Orsini) and partnered with BSN Design and Aramis B.V. to increase our software quality and development speed.
- We launched UXApprentice.com, a new site we created for people learning about User Experience Design.
- We posted three new articles on our Champions blog: Rev.com uses Mockups to help its translation services stand out from the crowd, How GoodApril Used Balsamiq to Save Hundreds of Hours in Building its MVP and one about the Apps for Good program.
- We wrote about how some 8th graders are building apps these days.
- We posted a few new videos to our quick dinner recipes collection.