Balsamiq Press Info
Press and Demo Kit#
Do you want to write about or demo Balsamiq?
Thanks so much, your help is much appreciated! :) We have some assets below that may be helpful.
First of all, if you purchased a plugin version, are a do-gooder, high school teacher, or plan to teach a UX Design class using Mockups, you may qualify for a free license. To find out if you qualify, read the terms for free licenses.
Here are some logos you can use. Click for bigger size or right-click and select Save Link As...:
Please read the official Balsamiq Mark Usage Guidelines. Download the EPS versions here:
Company & Product Description #
Feel free to copy and paste the paragraphs below.
Balsamiq is the maker of Mockups - http://balsamiq.com/products/mockups - the rapid wireframing software that combines the simplicity of paper sketching with the power of a digital tool so that teams can focus on what's important. Balsamiq is a small and personable company that competes on usability and customer service. Balsamiq believes work should be fun, and that life is too short for bad software.
Mockups Product Description
Balsamiq is the maker of Mockups - http://balsamiq.com/products/mockups - the rapid wireframing software that combines the comfort and simplicity of paper sketching with the power of a digital tool, so your work is easier to share, modify, and get honest feedback on. Mockups look like sketches, so stakeholders won't get distracted by little details, and can focus on what's important instead.
Balsamiq Mockups is available for Desktop, as a hosted web service, or as a plugin for Confluence, JIRA and Google Drive.
myBalsamiq Product Description
myBalsamiq - http://www.mybalsamiq.com/ - is the cloud-based version of Balsamiq Mockups, the rapid wireframing software that combines the comfort and simplicity of paper sketching with the power of a digital tool. myBalsamiq makes Mockups more powerful for teams with features for remote collaborative design including versioning and branching, web-accessible low-fi prototypes, project access levels, SSL, RSS, and email integration.
The Mockups page has a bunch of screenshot of sample mockups you can use, created with Balsamiq Mockups.
Balsamiq In The News #
Head over to the balsamiq_press Pinboard tag page for a full list of Balsamiq mentions in Twitter and the Blogosphere.
We have a few videos that demonstrate Mockups and myBalsamiq that might be useful introductions to these products. You can view them on YouTube, or if you prefer, download the Quicktime files.
Talking Points #
Demo Talking Points: when talking about Mockups in front of a crowd, I would start by showing our short demo video, maybe with the volume turned off so that you can speak over it.
As for talking points, I would stress:
- the app's speed, which approaches pen and paper. This is critical because the goal is to try many different things quickly. More expensive tools are also much more time-consuming, and when you spend time on something it's harder to throw it away and start over, which is often what's needed for creating the best possible user experience.
- the low-fidelity look which encourages honest feedback: we call it "a look no-one is afraid to criticize". ;) Also mention you can switch skin for more polished presentations.
- the fact that we update the application often based on customer feedback.
- the fact that new extensions are coming up all the time (Napkee for instance, which turns your mockups into html/css prototypes). You could also show Mockups To Go, our user-contributed collection of ready-to-use UI components and design patterns.
- the fact that we're a small company made of down-to-earth, good people who truly care for our customers' success and who take pride in providing legendary customer service. We are also doing great financially and we're in it for the long haul, we won't sell out or go bust any time soon.
Once you fire up the application, I would show these features: hiding the UI Library and using Quick Add instead, showing how easy it is to add data to a Data Grid (including checkboxes, toggling the scrollbar with one click), our use of progressive disclosure when resizing a large selection (the size in pixels shows up only when you need it) or by typing "lorem" into a Paragraph of Text control. Then, to show that the tool is deeper than it looks, I would import an image (make sure you show the "Sketch it!" feature) and show the Icon Library. If you still have time, reusable Symbols are a great finisher.
A personal story is also always very powerful, so if Mockups saved you some time or helped you think through a UI recently, definitely talk about it! :)
Good luck with your demo, let us know how it went! :)
- Balsamiq Studios Makes a Case for Web Office Plugins - Jun. 19, 2008, WebWorkerDaily
- Balsamiq Rolls Out Mockups - Jun. 23, 2008, Profy.com
- Show #4: Microsoft's BizSpark, Balsalmiq Studios - Nov. 5, 2008, the Startup Success Podcast
- my thoughts on Twitter - Nov. 3, 2008, The Twitter Survival Guide eBook (eBook, paid)
- net@night 75: Balsamiq - Nov. 20, 2008, Net@Night Podcast with Leo Laporte and Amber MacArthur
- Balsamiq Mockups - a solid case for AIR - Nov. 27, 2008, FlashMagazine.net
- Un Uomo Solo Al Comando - Jan. 15, 2009, Il Sole 24 Ore
- Interview with Peldi Guillizoni about Balsamiq Mockups - Mar. 24, 2009, Peter Elst
- Startup Interviews: Balsamiq Studios LLC - Apr. 13, 2009, Antonio Cangiano for Zen and the Art of Programming (also in Italian)
- Interview: Giacomo 'Peldi' Guilizzoni, Balsamiq Studios (PDF) - Apr. 27, 2009, Simon Graham for App The Rent
- Dire la vérité - Balsamiq, société italienne (PDF) - May 12, 2009, Newzy Magazine (print edition)
- Interview with CEO Peldi Guilizzoni about the growth of Balsamiq - May 20, 2009, 37Signals
- Balsamiq Studios - Jun. 12, 2009, techZING! podcast
- The Web Startup Success Guide - You can find an interview about Twitter on pages 25 and 26 of the downloadable chapter, and another about Adobe AIR in chapter 3.
- Four's a Crowd - Aug. 20, 2009, techZING! podcast
- Uncommon Interview: Balsamiq Studios - Sep. 14, 2009, a smart bear blog
- Rock on with Balsamiq! - Sep. 16, 2009, CIO Happy Hour
- Switch Story of Peldi Guilizzoni: From 0 To 15,000 Customers in 29 Months! - Feb. 4, 2010, Switch Stories
- How *Specifically* Did Balsamiq Bootstrap Its Way To $2 Mil In Sales in 18 Months? – with Peldi Guilizzoni (video+podcast) - Apr. 30, 2010, Mixergy
- Interview with Giacomo Guilizzoni, founder of Balsamiq Studios - Sep. 14, 2010, Paul Olyslager
- Show #103: Peldi Guilizzoni, founder and CEO Balsamiq Mockups - Mar. 22, 2011, the Startup Success Podcast
- From Idea To Concept - AppSavvy O'Reilly book, Ken Yarmosh
- Case Study - Balsamiq - SoftwarePromotions
- Interview with Peldi from Balsamiq - Jul. 14th, 2011, SoftwarePrototyping.net
- Chapter 6: Giacomo Peldi Guilizzoni - Jan. 24th, 2012, European Founders at Work book
- Italy's Balsamiq Pours Up New Wireframing Tools - Feb. 12th, 2012, Forbes.com
- Show 6 - Comes with Balsamiq - Feb. 20th, 2012, IATV Radio Podcast
- Episode 100 - Oct. 9th, 2012, Startups For The Rest Of Us Podcast
- Michael Angeles on Balsamiq – A Rapid Prototyping Tool - Apr. 22, 2013, The UX Review
- Get Satisfaction Customer Experience Series: Balsamiq, interview with Ben Norris - Oct. 11, 2013
- Chapter on Balsamiq, DO! the pursuit of xceptional execution book - Oct. 2013
- I am Peldi Guilizzoni Ask Me Anything!, Nov. 19, PublicBeta.co
- The mission: To rid the world of bad software. Get into the mindset of Peldi Guilizzoni, founder of Balsamiq, and you’ll see pretty quickly how his company takes a fresh approach as the leader within the “wireframing-space.” - Dec. 16, 2013, EntrepreWired Podcast
- Hello, I am Peldi from Balsamiq. Ask me anything! - Dec. 30, 2013, Reddit.com (/r/startups)
- How Balsamiq Bootstrapped Its Way Into a $6M Business - Sep. 30, 2014
- Giacomo Guilizzoni - Mar. 5, 2015, Workspiration
Talks & Video Interviews #
Do Worry, Be Happy! Keeping Sane as a Software CEO - 2010 Business of Software Conference
Transcript and more here
Guiding Principals for Running a Successful Little Startup - LessConf 2010
Video interview with Mixergy.com
"Ask Me Anything" - MicroConf 2012